We are on week 3 of the 31 Days to Detoxify Your Life challenge!
How are you doing so far?
In week 1 we discussed the toxins in our food system, and how to eliminate the common junk that is found in every kitchen, along with some delicious real food recipes. In week 2 we talked all about how to remove toxic cleaners from our homes and how to replace them with easy, affordable, effective, and non toxic cleaners we can make our selves. We have been discussing our progress and sharing more ideas in our support Facebook group, which you get access to when you buy the book, as well as following along with progress on our e-mail chain! There are definitely perks to buying the book in January! This week we will discuss personal care.
This is my favorite week. I love making homemade body care products for me and my family. It feels wonderful knowing that I am putting healthy, beautiful products on my body that do nothing but nourish!
In the personal care section of the book 31 Days to Detoxify Your Life, you will find a plethora of information about the most common toxins found in our every day personal care including shampoo, body wash, deoderant, lotions, tooth paste, cosmetics, and so much more. By bombarding our body with toxins that disrupt hormones and endocrine function, are carcenogenic, and tetratogenic which are bad for the organs in our body that filter toxins like our kidneys, liver, skin, lungs, and bowels, we are causing a slow build up of junk in our body that we can't get rid of fast enough. By using more natural alternatives that we can make in our own home, we can remove these toxins from our life and allow our body to process toxins naturally, and slowly remove the built up toxins it has accumulated over the years.
In Chapter 3 we have some wonderful articles and recipes like:
- The High Price of Personal Care
- A gentle detox routine including dry skin brushing and oil pulling
- 9 Different natural hair care recipes for all different types of hair from poo-free, to natural shampoo and conditioners, and other wonderful hair treatments and hair styling products.
- 12 Different Natural Skincare recipes from facial care to body care we have something for everyone to keep your skin silky smooth. Some of these recipes include Oil Cleansing Method, Blackhead Remover, Moisturizing Face Mask, Body Butters, Body Scrubs and more!
- 5 Oral care recipes including toothpaste, mouth wash, and lip balm.
- Other great recipes for things like detoxifying baths, Foaming Baby Soap, Foaming Hand Soap, Hand Sanitizer, Deodorant, DIY Perfume and more!
One of the great recipes we have to share with the book for you is this lovely Sunrise Lemon Bath by Mama Rosemary.
It is both invigorating and detoxifying, giving you the mental energy you need to start the day off right!
- organic lemon
- epsom salts (about a cup)
- 4-6 drops rosemary essential oil
- 1-2 drops lemon and blood orange essential oil
Slice up one organic lemon and toss it in the bath along with a big handful of epsom salts, 4 to 6 drops of rosemary, and 1 to 2 drops each of lemon and blood orange essential oil. Yum… Make sure your bath water is tepid and not too hot, or you might find yourself feeling tired and depleted instead of rejuvenated at the end of your bath. Give those lemons a good squeeze and sniff while you are in the tub, the smell is simply beautiful! You can also use the lemon slices to scrub your skin.
Goodness in the Bath
Fresh Lemon* - Added to the bath, fresh lemon imparts a lovely scent while balancing skin ph as well as cleansing and tightening tissues.
Rosemary Essential Oil - As you may know, rosemary is one of my favorite herbs and I love using the essential oil. The scent is very herbaceous and refreshing, to me it feels good on my brain. It is rejuvenating and relieves mental fatigue. Perfect for a morning bath.
Lemon and Blood Orange Essential Oils* - Both are good for oily skin and their uplifting
scents ease stress and nervous tension. “Add to rosemary, it (lemon) helps people who sleep too heavily to wake up.” - Jeanne Rose, Jeanne Rose’s Herbal Body Book
*An Important Note ~ Lemons as well as lemon & blood orange essential oils contain compounds that can cause photosensitivity so stay out of the sun after taking this bath. Also, the fruit and essential oil of lemons can be irritating for folks with sensitive skin, therefore if you have sensitive skin you might want to use less lemon and neither of the citrus essential oils.
~ Week 3 Giveaway ~
A Collection of Beautiful Body Care!
Every week we have had a great giveaway, and this week is no different! Our giveaway prizes include:
Five Lovely Prizes This Week!!
- Relaxing Bath Salts Kit from Homemade for Elle: Creating your own bath salts is super easy! You can customize your bath salts to any fragrance you wish! From a relaxing lavender soak, to an invigorating citrus blend, creating your own bath salts is a wonderful treat after a long day. Epsom salt heals sore muscles, helps with magnesium deficiencies, and naturally detoxes your body. We are giving away one relaxing bath salt kit that includes: 2 pounds of epsom salt, a bottle of organic lavender essential oil, and a jar to store it in, so you can create your own homemade bath salts!
- Lavender Rose Solid Perfume from Natural Living Mamma and Natural Herbal Living. This Lavender Rose Solid perfume is in a small tin that you can carry with you wherever you go. Rub off a little bit with your finger and apply to the pulse points. The scent will last about four hours, and can be reapplied as needed throughout the day. The beautiful feminine aroma of lavender and rose combined with the warm vanilla creates an amazingly sensual perfume that is sure to please.
- It's Greek to Me! [Cold Cream Face Wash], La-La-Lips! [Lip Balm], Co-Co Lotion Bar [Lotion Bar] from Virginia Georg
- Lemon Essential Oil from Live Essentially
- $25 Fiddlebumps Apothecary Gift Certificate